Monday, March 5, 2012

1580s Dress Sketch and Notes

LAVINIA FONTANA (1552-1614), Portrait of a Noblewoman c.1580. Oil on Canvas. National Museum of Women in the Arts.

Sketch and Notes Detail

You may not know this, but my first historical clothing love was Elizabethan England (or maybe it's obvious.) Last Friday, I was traveling to a job interview by plane over some terrible and tragic weather. The flights were turbulent and I needed to something to take my mind off of the whole situation. Imagine my relief when I turned the page in the airplane magazine to find a full-page reproduction of this portrait! I had something to look at, something to think about, and best of all-- something to draw!

Sketch and Notes of c.1580 Portrait 

Click through to Flickr for larger versions of the sketch to read what's on my mind.