Monday, November 7, 2011

NaNoWriMo Day 7

It's National Novel Writing Month again and I'm on schedule with my novel. Writing about 1700 words a day means that I have significantly less time (, creativity, or energy) to make art. I have been working, though, albeit slowly. Here is a sketch for my next quilt.

Sketch for "On Top of the World"


I'm trying to focus more on the technical aspects of art quilting, and one thing that helps is a more familiar subject. I've been drawing ladies in historic clothing (mostly Elizabethan) since I was little. While the subjects themselves are more visually complicated, I'm more comfortable with the themes and symbolism. I don't know if that makes any sense to someone who isn't me so I'll put it another way: When I considered quilting Elizabethan women instead of hearts, I asked myself, "Why haven't I been doing this THE WHOLE TIME?"

In other news, I am a pinterest fiend. You should check it out, too.